The deadline to complete the HGMA 2022 application is Monday, February 27, 2023.
The purpose of this award is to honor the spirit and impact that we believe Hannah would have had on the University and the world had she lived. This award will support a substantive educational engagement related to a topic or issue relevant to promoting health and development and/or to reducing the incidence and/or severity of violence against women and girls.
The engagement will include coursework or independent study during the semester preceding the field placement to prepare for research or service work in the chosen community. The field placement must be for at least eight weeks, and it is preferable that this placement occur in a French-speaking developing country.
During the semester following the field placement, the student will propose additional course work or mentored independent study to build on knowledge and skills gained during the field experience and to work to disseminate findings and consider options for sustained engagement with the host community.
- U.S. Department of State Travel Warnings: No work or research in countries with an active U.S. Department of State Travel Warning or other UVA travel restrictions.
- Institutional Review Board (IRB): It is your responsibility to comply with any UVA Institutional Review Board requirements which may apply.
- International Studies Office (ISO): Participation in the International Studies Office Preparatory Workshop and registration with the ISO is required.
- Funds Disbursement: Pending compliance with all award requirements, approved funds will be issued via the Student Information System (SIS).
- Post Award Requirements: Twenty-five page report due to the Board of the Hannah Graham Memorial Award; oral presentation at one of several undergraduate presentation opportunities.
INFORMATION NEEDED FOR APPLICATION
The following is a summary of the information that is required on the application.
- Personal information, such as school, major, and anticipated year of graduation.
- UVA Mentor information, including a letter of support.
- In-country Mentor and Partner Institution information, including a letter of support.
- Project information, including an anticipated itinerary, language proficiency documentation, budget, and resume.
- Coursework, including courses for the academic year.
- Project narrative, a three-page or less document that includes your project's background, purpose, work plan, objectives, and expected outcomes.
- Personal statement, addresses personal qualities that relate to the Hannah Graham Memorial Award.